Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Legacy of Katherleen

This is the poem I wrote for my Grandmother's Surprise 75th Birthday Party. The next blog is on the party itself.

Each person has a legacy. For some it is written in history, for others it is financial and for most it is the impact on the life of another. There are those that never meet you, whose lives you may have impacted through your influence of someone. Think of the generations of people who do something because it’s always been done that way, that’s someone’s legacy.

If you know my grandmother at all, she has a servant’s heart. If you let her know what you want to eat, she will make sure the meal is ready and waiting for you upon your arrival at the house. And no one seems to have figured out why I don’t want to cook. Not once have I heard her complain about it, she doesn’t make a big deal over it, she just does it. There have been numerous gatherings around her table to share a meal, a laugh and good conversation. She fed my obsession with bacon by always making sure that there was some available if I was coming to her house. If it wasn’t waiting on me when I got there, it was ready to be put in the pan.

The bond between grandparent and grandchild is special. I remember waiting for the bacon to get ready much to my parents dismay, she wouldn’t let them leave until it was done. I remember the tears she shed when I got in trouble. I remember the constant support she has given. I know that I can always call, no matter the time of day or night and she will be happy to hear from me. I know some of the recipes she has shared, even if I avoid the kitchen.

I can’t imagine my life without my grandmother. When I grow up, I want to be just like her. Honestly, it started at a young age when I insisted on being called Kathy. If you are here, it’s because my grandmother means something to you. She has touched each of our lives in unexplainable ways. When I look back over the years, I simply have to smile. I am honored that I am able to let her know on this special occasion that her mark has been left on my life, her legacy will continue for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment